Sunday, January 11, 2009

11-01-09 (Sunday) "My Dearly Beloved"

After several years of fervently providing me with endless hours of fun and sheer thrill, I have decided that it is time I gave some credit to my faithful 'companion'.

My brother, Joel introduced me to her. Its been at least two years now. I dare say I remember every single moment we've been together in the past years, how there were bitter and angry moments, and others when I just can't stop thanking God for her.



... The Settlers of Catan.
Its a game of collecting, development, trading and even robbing.

Having introduced her to many friends of mine (all Malaysians so far... Even those in Singapore.), I dare say no one has EVER been bored by her. Like Wikipedia says, "The game has rapidly become popular in part because its mechanics are relatively simple, while its dynamics are quite complex."
Its not your everyday, ordinary board game where you roll dice, move your biji and pass "Go", collect $200 and end your turn. Sure, there are dice to roll. But there's more strategy involved, more brainpower involved. Chance only plays second fiddle in this game. And I can ASSURE you, there's suspense and excitement involved in every game (UNLESS SOMEbody has his Great Wall of Catan and Imperial Army all over the place, upsetting the whole game.).
You can tell by the look on Frank's face that emotions are brought into play in this game as well.
(Heartbroken Frank: My OREs!!!! *winces in pain*)

Basically, you just have to collect 10 victory points to win this game. With settlements contributing one each (meaning you start the game with two victory points as you get 2 settlements to begin with), and several other ways of gathering victory points. This adds to the fun of the game as everyone has a chance of winning depending on how they want to win.
A White Settlement.

There COULD be some cases of violence in the game too, for those of you sado-masochists out there. You could really cause some strife to emerge by rolling 7. Moving the robber to prevent other players' tiles to stop generating resources.
Your friendly neighbourhood robbers.
For those of you who've yet to be sucked into the world of board games and card games, the Settlers of Catan is a good game to start with to get you addicted. (As Frank can testify to...) Its far better than computer games and online games as well, for those of you worrying parents. That's cos' board and card games actually get people to have real-life interaction with friends. REAL friendship and bonds can be formed through such gaming sessions too!
There... I've introduced you to my Dearly Beloved. Maybe you might wanna meet her someday if you haven't already? Let me know, won't ya? I'm sure she'll be more than delighted to entertain you as well! *sniggers*

No comments: