Tuesday, May 27, 2008

27-05-08 (Tuesday) "In the Quiet"

"... the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice." ~ I Kings 19:11b-12

My Daily Bread today. Life nowadays always so busy, having a planner makes me constantly reminding myself of the NEXT big thing that's coming up that I sometimes forget to focus on the present. Bad bad...! I really wish I could discipline myself to sit down quietly someday and just... LISTEN!

As I was typing the verse, I also happened to realise sth quite interesting... 'but the LORD was not in the wind(cyclone?); and after the wind an earthquake(7.9 earthquake?); and after the earthquake a fire(forest fires?)...' Does that remind you of anything that's going on recently? Could God be speaking to us NOW in that still small voice without us realising it? Have YOU tuned out your own world to enter God's world yet?

Just this previous weekend, on Saturday, Hillsong United was at the Expo for this youth concert. They did not disappoint. However, the speaker(whom I shall not name),... Hmmm... HIM I found rather... Well, I was rather critical of his message. That's all. He was preaching the Prosperity Gospel to all who came. "Enter 'The Zone' and you'll get your straight A's, get enough money to give freely for offerings and all that's great in life!" Heck, why not add in 'marrying that Emma Watson that you've been dreaming of' to the list to? I find these kinda approach to the Gospel rather... Untruthful... Becoming a Christian doesn't mean life becomes perfect, does it? I think it just means you find a whole new meaning to life and therefore life becomes more meaningful. It means we now have Someone to turn to in our deepest times of need!

This reminds of another friend of mine in the hostel who was talking over a meal with another pre-believer on how he met this lady barber who was saying how her kid got really good results after praying and all that, that becoming a Christian ensures success all the way. This kinda turned him off apparently.

Well, then again... These ppl are at least TRYING to spread God's love and His love for them around. Who am to judge them? Furthermore, in such a huge crowd on Saturday, quite a number responded to his invitation to receive Christ, which means his style IS the way to portray the gospel to bring these ppl to Christ, right? I just hope that after that they will not be frightened when they discover the ugly truth.

No comments: