Wednesday, May 20, 2009

20-05-09 (Wednesday) "Beautifully Imperfect"

The title of this post got me curious when I saw it mentioned by more than one person.



I always wanted to talk about how being a Malaysian is to me. I guess this is pretty much a good time.

These are what is usually heard when certain people ask about Malaysia.
1. Problems with the education system - "We actually study and take exams for knowing some moral values in our high school", "I barely ever pass my test in school and yet I get straight A's in SPM(Malaysian Education Certificate = Malaysian 'Ordinary' Levels)
2. Problems with tertiary education and scholarships - "Wah... Some ppl get 18 A1's and not even offered a decent government scholarship", "I get straight A1's and I only get scholarship to some lousy local uni ah", "Straight A1's also cannot get into Dentistry/Medicine/Pharmacy at XXX Uni?"
3. Problems with corruption - "Cheh... He got into this school only cos' his dad so much money, just $$ here, $$ there, enough liao la...", "Wanna pass driving test? Additional RM150 only ma..."
4. Problems with discrimination - Enough said about this...

In the midst of all this, I may not be very proud of all that goes on in Malaysia sometimes... BUT... I somehow still feel that feeling of pride when people ask where I'm from and I get this tingle when I say, "Malaysia".

We may not have the best education system around but from how many other countries can people say that they are fluent and well-versed in at least 3 languages (Malay, English & Mandarin)? Not to mention that it is cos' of Malaysia's education that many of us can step out into other countries after secondary education in Malaysia and cope easily with the different syllabi and materials. Also, going through Singapore and coming to Australia, I realize that not many countries at all produce triple-Science students at the secondary level.

Thanks to Malaysia, I appreciate the things I get when I step out. I do not just take any new item I get for granted. E.g, get an iPod from parents in Sg or in Oz and its just normal cos' every other friends of yours got it half a year ago when it just got released.

Thanks to Malaysia, I know that working and earning your own money is no piece of cake and that money shouldn't be wasted anyway I want to.

Come to think of it, I think that despite that despite all the shortcomings that Malaysians can find in our dear country, I haven't seen anyone who has been a real Malaysian, residing in Malaysia, who ISN'T proud to be a Malaysian! I think food is really one of the uniting factors of Malaysians, together with the unique colloquial & accent that we've developed over these 52 years. Interesting how our mastery of broken English is what binds us. =)

The video embedded above may be from Singapore but I have come to realize how close and how alike Malaysians and Singaporeans are in many ways (no matter how hard both parties try to deny that fact).

And to all Malaysians out there... Don't you think that the imperfections that we find in Malaysia is exactly what makes it perfect for us? *wink*

On that day when I see
All that You have for me
When I see You face to face
There surrounded by Your grace

All my fears swept away
In the light of your embrace
When Your love is all I need
And forever I am free

Where the streets are made of gold
In Your presence here to hold
Let these songs of heaven rise to you alone
~ "You Hold Me Now"
Tear Down The Walls
Hillsong United

6 comments:

jocelyn said...

I echo your sentiments! (:

Proud to be a Malaysian.
We're awesome.

jtkl89 said...

Yeah... I think had more to write but nothing came up now. =)

Simon said...

so mannnnnnnnnnn~~~~~~~

Unknown said...

although it sounds a bit contradicting.. but, yeah, u are right.. we are from a imperfect country and that's what makes us to be able to be more grateful over things..

jtkl89 said...

is it contradictory? i thought tat's wat made it make sense tho, d paradox. =P

Unknown said...

paradoxxxxx roxx haha