Thursday, April 01, 2010

02-04-10 (Friday) "Are you here, oh love?"

I've been reading this book "Passion & Purity" recently. I gotta say, it challenged my thoughts in more ways than one.

I think its quite safe to say that the majority of single people always ponder upon marriage and love and wonder when and where theirs is gonna come.

I think I should change to the pronoun "we" here...

So uh... WE think that love is something so beautiful, with our hearts skipping multiple beats over the period of having seen that special someone every time. We think that entering into a relationship is such an experience beyond words, where everything becomes way better than it is now.

And we think that this special relationship, that special someone is what is gonna complete our life. Once we find that person, settle down, get a steady life... THEN we can breathe a sigh and say, "Ahhh... NOW, life is perfect!"

Elliot challenges us/me that we should be comfortable the way we are and not be yearning for love just because WE want it. We tend to think that God wants us to have a life abundant and that means He would will ALL of us to get attached, get serious then get married. Like now.

But what if God has a different plan for you? He very well could have a different one for me. Is it my right to pray against it? To insist that God prepares that lady for me? To prepare me for that special lady? Not at all!

The apostle Paul had a point with what he said about serving God in singlehood compared to being non-single in 1 Cor 7:32-34. A relationship carries with it a heavy load of responsibilities and not everyone enters into a relationship realizing that, especially their first relationships. Yes, I'm generalising but I trust it applies to many. And yes, I DO think that relationships also bring along lots of good stuff, too. I'm just pointing out that the other side of it is usually unthought of UNTIL issues arise.

Anyway... That's all I wanted to share before I leave for OCF EASTER CAMP TOMORROW!!!! More like later, actually. So uh... Have a good Easter break, everyone! And ignore those Easter eggs and bunnies and remember what Easter really means!


"Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires."
~ Song of Solomon 8:4b
The Holy Bible


"The only place outside Heaven where you can be
perfectly safe from all the
dangers and perturbations of love is
Hell."

~C. S. Lewis
The Four Loves

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hi! I know you have no clue who I am, but I'm heading up an online Passion and Purity book club starting in August and came across your blog while preparing for it. I thought you might like to join us or at least follow the blog! It's pursuepassionandpurity.blogspot.com. We'd love to have you come along!
-Hannah