Thursday, December 02, 2010

09-12-10 (Thursday) “Boundaries”

So I just got back from a trip including a mission trip and visits to my grandparents’ place. I’ve learnt and thought about a lot throughout this trip.

IMG_8352

I realize how the people in Rumah Tatom are quite… Pristine, if I may use the word. Reminds me a bit of the movie “Avatar”. They are not bothered by keeping up with the latest iPhone, they need not have a laptop with the latest Intel processor technology, they need not eat like kings as much as possible(although the wild boar must be quite a treat. I wish I could testify but it wasn’t a festive season so they had no reason to slaughter boars. “Praise God!”, say the animal activists and vegetarians. Open-mouthed smile )

IMG_8154

I also think about how they’re kinda missing out on the comforts offered by air-conditioners, flushing toilets, freezers(ICE!!!), automatic toothbrushes, automatic can openers, automatic dishwashers, automatic butt-wipers and whatever else that we have managed to automate so far.IMG_8141I believe this is where they collect rainwater. For use in brushing their teeth and drinking.

Frankly, I don’t know whether to feel sorry for them that they’re missing out on so much goodies that can make their lives so much more comfortable… Or for us that we’re all so tied down to this world with so many things that make our lives comfortable that we don’t wanna let go of this pursuit for more nor let go of what we have. Without the distractions of having to provide every means of “home-improvement” for their families, the people have an AMAZING sense of community. I’m pretty sure THEY got it right when the focus is more on the PEOPLE rather than the SATISFACTION of people.

IMG_8241IMG_8046IMG_7906IMG_8273

I think that the only gift we DO bear to people in missions like this is the Gospel. Everything else is THEIR gift to us. The gift of hospitality, the lessons on generosity, the warmth of community, the purity of seclusion from the snares of the world.

IMG_7799

“Boundaries don’t keep people out. They fence you in.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So...I ran across your post: 31-10-10 (Sunday) “Sometimes, I Wish…”
Why don't you have more comments? Do people read your blog?

jtkl89 said...

Its either that or my readers are not the commenting type. :)