Saturday, April 18, 2009

18-04-09 (Saturday) "Celebration of and by Self"

My perception of birthdays have been shifting over the years.

I recall the days when I was so vain, hoping everyone around remembers the birthday of "oh-so-important-person" - Me. I would try to stay awake till midnight just to see how many ppl were willing to stay awake as well just to send me greetings.

Arrogant, full-of-self, pompous arse...

This year, it felt kinda different.

I've been thinking about what lies behind the whole celebrations to birthdays... Is it in the cake? The birthday song? The surprise parties your pals throw? Or maybe the presents you receive?

I think birthdays are more meaningful than just those. Its more than receiving all the goodies and wishes from friends.

Its more about GIVING thanks.

Giving thanks to God for the gift of life. Giving thanks for all the experiences that have been laid along my walk of life. Giving thanks to the ppl around who've made your life how it has been so far. Giving thanks for the things you have and also for the things you don't.

On a side note, I think immortality is overrated. The beauty of our life now is in its unpredictability and finity(??? it has an end...?). If we live too long to see EVERYONE around us keep on dying while we keep aging and aging and aging and aging and aging... It'd be pretty darn sad, no? So, I'm glad that I'm mortal. Till my mortality ends, then eternity's a whole new different story. =)

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given
Jesus Christ, His Son

~ "Give Thanks"

Happy birthday, Ivy and Sam Koh.
Happy birthday in advance, Kah Ying, KC, Grace and Sing Ping.
=)

2 comments:

Kah Ying said...

cant agree more. it's all about the thank you and the feeling of gratitude that matters in our birthdays.

jtkl89 said...

n yeap... hope u had a GREAT birthday, ky!!