Sunday, September 11, 2011

11-09-2011 (Sunday) “Love Enough”

This is something I’ve been thinking about over past experiences.

We’ve heard the message over and over. “Love is not that mushy, warm feeling you get inside. Its an action. Its a verb. Something you do.”

Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. ~ Ephesians 5:25 (The Message)

For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her ~ Ephesians 5:25 (New Living Translation)

Focusing on the words in bold, love is marked by giving, yeah? Okay. So you say it doesn’t apply to you because that love is only between husband and wife.

So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” ~ John 13:34-35 (NLT)

Now this is Jesus speaking. And that obviously trumps everything. Love one another as He loved us. How did He love us? He gave. He didn’t get. He just kept giving.

What I’m thinking about is this: So if love is marked by GIVING, if I actually love someone, I will be giving and not be so concerned about GETTING. Sounds right? I think so. But what about the point where I come to a point where I just don’t have enough within and can’t give anymore? Does that mean I have stopped loving the person? Then begs an even greater question: Have I actually been loving the other person? If I truly loved, should it have its limit? Or does the limit just mean its not really love? The best answer I can think of is that this love was not PERFECT love because I’m not perfect.

Sounds a bit sad and sniffy but I think we can and should consider this same fact regarding our love towards God. Are we only limited to giving of ourselves when we feel like it? When our pockets are full, when we feel so blessed, having just received a promotion/scholarship, when something that we prayed for came true? How does our love compare to the one we receive from Him?

Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens.He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. ~ James 1:17

IMG_7966

No comments: